Online Resources in Donegal libraries & Taobh Tíre Centres
Donegal County Library provides access to a number of online databases and services free of charge to library members. These electronic resources are being provided to support the research interests of our users. These resources can be accessed from Donegal libraries, Taobh Tíre centres and from home using your library membership card.
Login to the following databases using your library membership card number:
- Donegal County Libraries provide online ccess to a range of popular magazine titles. There is no limit to the number of magazines you can download.
- In order to register for this service for the first time you will need to create an account using your e-mail address. Once this account is created you can then enjoy access to our online magazine service using your e-mail address and the PIN number you provided. Simply click on the folloing link to get started Donegal County Library Online Magazines.
For further information please see Zinio Guidelines.
- Donegal County Library provides access to full issues of thousands of top newspapers and magazines just as they appear in print. Simply click on the Donegal County Library Online Newspapers link and enter your library card number to access the service directly.
- Tablet and Smartphone users can also download titles in library branches for offline reading using the HotSpot app.
Set-up Instructions for Accessing PressReader via Wi-Fi
1. Connect your smartphone or tablet to authenticated Wi-Fi
2. Download PressReader from app store or go to www.pressreader.com
3. Launch PressReader, choose your title and enjoy reading
- PressReader Mobile App – Apple iOS
- PressReader Mobile App – Android
- Library PressDisplay - PC/Laptop
Britannica Online is the online version of the renowned Encyclopaedia Britannica, which not only allows access to all the resources of the print volumes, but is also available with three age-specific sections. It offers searchable and browsable collections of reference articles with thousands of links and related websites. Please click on the relevant link below and enter your library card number to search the databases.
- Oxford Dictionaries / English an extensive, integrated, smart-linked one-stop English language resource. It offers quick-search access to definitions of words, phrases, and idioms, with expert guidance on style, usage, grammar, and spelling; plus specialist guides for legal and technical writing.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography access to the lives of over 58,500 people worldwide in this illustrated online collection of specially written biographies. This vast and authoritative resource covers individuals who have shaped all aspects of British history, from the Romans to the 21st century.
- Oxford Reference: Premium access to over 120 core subject, quotation, and language dictionaries providing concise entries for readers wanting to quickly check a fact, or find key information about a concept, person, or term, plus a selection of in-depth, single-volume works from Reference Library, many of them being Oxford Companions.
- Oxford English Dictionary Online access to most authoritative and comprehensive record of the English language in the world, tracing the evolution and use of words.The Oxford English Dictionary Online gives you not only the latest content of the full Oxford English Dictionary, but also the Historical Thesaurus of the Oxford English Dictionary, providing more depth and breadth than ever before.
- The Irish Times digital archive contains exact reproductions of all articles published by the Irish Times from 1859 onwards, and is available in all branch libraries via the Ask About Ireland website. This database can be accessed at any local library.
- BorrowBooks.ie allows you to search across the Irish public libraries' online catalogues to locate and request an item which is not held in your own library service. It is a free service but you must be a member of an Irish public library service. You are invited to search for a book, CD, DVD or etc. from the online catalogues of Irish public library authorities. The item you request will be delivered to your local branch and you will be notified once it has arrived. Please note that requests to library services other than your own may take a little time to fulfil.